Date: 3/25/17 2:34 pm
From: Kenneth J. Brock <kj.brock...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] NW Ind (25-Mar-2017) White Pelicans, Short-eared Owl, & W. Meadowlark

Today (25-Mar-2017) Randy Pals, Lynn Vernon, and I birded several NW Indiana sites.

With spirits damped by continuous rain at Michigan City Harbor, we elected to head for Newton County, which had no rain. After lunch Jeff McCoy informed us that he and Brendan Grube were finding good birds at Reynolds Creek. So we headed for that site and found some of their goodies. The day ended with a marvelous hawk flight at Dunes S.P.

—MICHIGAN CITY OUTSKIRTS Wild Turkey,2 on US 12

—MICHIGAN CITY HARBOR (steady rain)
Common Loon,1 alternate plumage
Ring-billed Gull,20

—NEWTON COUNTY
Northern Harrier,1 juv
Red-tailed Hawk,2
Killdeer,1
American Crow,3
Eastern Meadowlark,3

—KANKAKEE SANDS UNIT-K
Mallard,2
Green-winged Teal,6
Great Blue Heron,1
Northern Harrier,2 ad fem & juv
Red-tailed Hawk,2
Rough-legged Hawk,1 light-morph imm
Killdeer,4
Greater Yellowlegs,1
Pectoral Sandpiper,6
Wilson’s Snipe,5
American Tree Sparrow,5
Song Sparrow,1
White-crowned Sparrow,1 first-cycle
Eastern Meadowlark,6

—WILLOW SLOUGH FWA
Canada Goose,20 apx
Mallard,6
Northern Shoveler,14
Redhead,2
Lesser Scaup,200 est
Bufflehead,50
Hooded Merganser,2
Red-breasted Merganser,2
Ring-necked Pheasant,2 males
American White Pelican,18
Turkey Vulture,1
Red-tailed Hawk,1
American Coot,2100
Killdeer,2
Red-bellied Woodpecker,1
Downy Woodpecker,1
Northern Flicker,4
American Kestrel,1
Tree Swallow,8
Blue Jay,2
American Crow,3
American Robin,25
American Tree Sparrow,5
Chipping Sparrow,2
Field Sparrow,2 singing
Song Sparrow,6
White-crowned Sparrow,2
Dark-eyed Junco,11
Eastern Meadowlark,2
Rusty Blackbird,16
Common Grackle,30
Brown-headed Cowbird,22
House Finch,1 singing

—KANKAKEE SANDS UNIT-J
Gadwall,2
Mallard,25
Northern Pintail,23
Northern Shoveler,36
Blue-winged Teal,17
Ring-necked Duck,4
Great Blue Heron,3
Northern Harrier,1
Rough-legged Hawk,1 light-morph male
American Coot,150
Wilson’s Snipe,2
Eastern Meadowlark,1

—KANKAKEE SANDS UNIT-L Rough-legged Hawk,1 light ad male

—REYNOLDS CREEK G.H.A. (met Brendan Grube, Kim Ehn, & Jeff McCoy)
Short-eared Owl,1 (one of 3 seen by the above)
Horned Lark,2
Lapland Longspur,1
American Tree Sparrow,15
Chipping Sparrow,2
Savannah Sparrow,2
Eastern Meadowlark,8
Western Meadowlark,1 singing- continuing bird

—GREEN TOWER SITE
A call from Jeff informed us of a late afternoon hawk flight that sprang up at the Green Tower Site (Dunes S.P.). We joined Jeff and Brendan and enjoyed lots of Sharpies & Red-tailed, plus an Osprey, Sapsuckers, and Phoebes. Brendan will post the entire list on ebird.

Ken Brock
Chesterton

Join us on Facebook!