Date: 3/25/17 11:17 am
From: Diana Beatty <otowi33.33...>
Subject: [cobirds] Widefield Community Park
Aiken Audubon had a field trip in Widefield Community Park and Crews Gulch
today in southern El Paso County.

Six birders made the trek noting signs of Spring everywhere and sighting
about 31 species. Frost covered the grounds when we started. We watched
a Belted Kingfisher at McCrae Reservoir proudly and loudly flying around
with a crayfish in its beak and enjoyed beautiful Song Sparrow song.
Heading through Widefield Community Park we had some nice birds - Lewis's
Woodpecker, Townsend Solitaire, Say's Phoebe, a Cooper's Hawk pair
returning to a previous nesting site, and we enjoyed watching some
Black-capped Chickadees excavating a hole for nesting. Robins were
plentiful and active all along the trail. In Crews Gulch we had possible
Scaled Quail, but unable to confirm. We saw Kestrels copulating down by
Ceresa Park.

Diana Beatty
El Paso County

--

******

All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the
old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.