Date: 3/25/17 7:34 am
From: Laurie Yntema <laurieyntema...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Red-throated loon?
Hello birders,
I am fairly certain that I saw a first year spring or juvenile red throated
loon in the Belfast Harbor this morning. I was on FootBridge Road
approaching the bridge, and this bird was very close to shore (30 feet or
so) off to the left facing the town of Belfast. diving, and after two dives
It could not relocated. Thin upturned bill and small size, mostly brownish
gray on the back, neck and rounded head, inconsistent with red necked
grebe. Remarkably small for a loon! I am hopeful someone else can see it
today and confirm the id! Will try to check again at lunch if work permits!
Laurie Yntema