Date: 3/25/17 12:06 am
From: phillip <phillip...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Re: Basic Hawk ID Help
My guess would be an immature Red-shouldered Hawk. Chunky body and
relatively short tail says buteo to me, but more slender than a Red-tail,
also longer-tail than Red-tail extending beyond primaries. And evenly
streaked underside without a Red-tail's belly band. No Broad-wings in
March, too slender and warm brown for rough-legged. Immature because red
lacking in the shoulders, and the tail not thickly and boldly barred.