Date: 3/24/17 7:31 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: The Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (24 Mar 2017) 7 Raptors
The Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Mar 24, 2017

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 2 36 36
Osprey 0 3 3
Bald Eagle 0 13 13
Northern Harrier 0 7 7
Sharp-shinned Hawk 2 51 51
Cooper's Hawk 1 8 8
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 5 5
Broad-winged Hawk 0 0 0
Red-tailed Hawk 2 65 65
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 0 4 4
Merlin 0 1 1
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 7 193 193

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 15:30:00
Total observation time: 7.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
THE SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY SPRING HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (2): Kathleen Pileggi
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Hawk
Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Cloudy (90-50% cloud cover), Temps 34-48F, Winds SSW 10-20 mph

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Red-shouldered Hawk,
6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (5) and Turkey Vultures (40).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ This morning finds the meadow absolutely loaded with Robins
tugging countless worms from the soft soil (OK, mud); quite literally
extracting an easy meal where just a few days ago, many insect –eaters were
starving in the snow, ice, and frigid winds. Sadly, I never saw the Phoebe
again; his fate will remain a mystery. But onto happier things…my field
coffee maker is up and working, so I may be, too. My friend, Anita has the
printing finished on one of my new bulletin boards. She has beautiful
handwriting. And she had much more important good news on the medical
front for a family member. Hope that continues, Anita. I can see a future
bulletin for our new boards, now!
“Chris” is making many trips to “his” suet feeder, while feeding upon the
cracked corn on the ground, was a flock of several hundred Redwind
Blackbirds, comprised nearly entirely of females, holding just 5 male
Brown-headed Cowbirds and a lone immature male Redwing. The adult males
are busy setting up territories for the upcoming breeding season. We’ve
been hearing their songs on territory for some time now. To me, that’s the
sign of spring…not the “appearance” of Robins. They’re here all year,
albeit in much reduced numbers, just in the woods, eating berries. Ah, but
that “konk-la-ree” of the male Redwing screams spring to me. I can just
see those epaulets ablaze now!
Rusty Blackbirds are heard singing from the woods near the parking lot
(species #73, falls), their “squeaky swinging door that needs oil” song
reaching me, here at the crown of the hill. There! The coffee just kicked
in…hawks beware! I’m alert! It’s amazing just how much one can accomplish
(wrong word?) on auto-pilot, isn’t it? Two Ravens flew over together at
12:05pm. I am so spoiled by them around Bucktoe.
This sky has been threatening all day, but I really don’t think it will
rain. I believe the weather-person got the forecast a bit wrong today.
It’s better than predicted. Today, the Barred Owl hooted at 12:41pm (a
premonition of what was to come?). Nineteen minutes earlier than
yesterday. Hmmmm….must have been the clouds. An ever-increasingly smaller
group of Pintail were along Scarlet Road as I went past. When I get home,
a big surprise… a hooting Barred Owl, just a mile outside of Coatesville.
My second here…ever!
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Kathleen Pileggi for posting these sightings to ebird and
for helping with this submission to “Hawk Count.” Thanks also, to the
Brokaws, for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening
their property to the public for this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: 1-Killdeer, 2-Ring-billed Gull, 1-Barred
Owl, 1-Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, 2-COMMON RAVEN, 1-Eaastern Towhee,
8-White-crowned Sparrow, 10_-Rusty Blackbird.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0); Dragonflies (0); Reptiles &
Amphibians (0); Mammals (1): eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 2.88; Steps: 6768; Floors: 17.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a hawk watch,
(very rough, best “guestimate,” – raptors must remain our primary focus)
for totals of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 43; this season: 73
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):” Rusty
Blackbird.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
A warm spring day is on tap with winds from a helpful direction. Might be
a good day.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru April 30, 9am thru 3pm (at
least). Rain or shine…. but not snow or ice…
The Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by ... well,
sponsored by nobody at the moment (which, I guess, means it’s being
sponsored by me, for now, right folks?), although in the past sponsored,
alternately and personally very appreciatively, by the Delaware Nature
Society & The Land Conservancy for Southern Chester County. and certainly
the Brokaw family. Please contact us at <earlybirdtours...> with
questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: