Date: 3/23/17 8:26 am
From: Sandy <sandyselesky...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] King Eider
I also went to see and photograph the handsome King Eider Tuesday afternoon at Herring Run Cape Cod Canal. A friend went back yesterday and is going again today as it is still there. It was amazingly close for the 4 hours I was there on Tuesday and easy to see among the huge flock of Common Eider because they were all hugging the front shoreline. They would eventually spread out a bit to dive for food further back or fly forward at times but then circle back around to the front shoreline again. All who came were in disbelief and awe at being able to see and photograph a King Eider at such close range! Just incredible and worth the drive. However by late afternoon (around 5 and earlier yesterday according to my friend) one part of the flock including the King flew back towards the bridge and much further away. But I heard that it's back again at the Herring Run this morning.
Also saw 1 Red-throated Loon, 2 Common Loons starting to get their breeding plumage, 2 Common Goldeneye, and 2 Red-breasted Mergansers (flying by).

Sandy Selesky
<sandyselesky...>
Westford,MA

Sent from my iPhone