Date: 3/20/17 10:58 pm
From: Brooke Miller <idbirds...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Pacific Wren in an Odd Location, Mon. 20-March-2017
Hi SBBers,

I came across a PACIFIC WREN this morning on my quick dog walk around the block here in the Willow Glen area of San Jose. Here’s what I wrote in my eBird checklist:

“A wren smaller than either a Bewicks Wren or House Wren. Faint supercilium. Dark rufous brown bird with short more rufous tail held cocked up, and small dark bill. Alerted to the bird’s presence by it's chit-chit-chit vocalization, unlike any I've heard from either Bewicks or House. It sounded like Pacific Wrens I've heard before. I viewed the bird about 10-12 feet away, at eye level, on an open branch of a 10-foot tall bush for at least 2 minutes, as I played the chit-chit call 3-4 times from my iPhone. (It was in the oak bush growing from the stump of the oak tree that fell a couple years ago on the perimeter of the lawn meadow at Dry Creek Village.)”

It didn’t sing, so I am assuming it was a female. It disappeared behind the bush before I left. Of course, I didn’t have my camera, but I went back with it but was unable to re-find the bird. I have never seen a Pacific Wren away from very moist, dark environments, so I was and am still quite surprised at finding this bird.

You never know what you’re going to find, which is part of the reason I love birding!

Good birding!
Brooke Miller
San Jose

<*> Your email settings: