Date: 3/20/17 8:48 pm
From: Harry Glasgow via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk
A group of about 30 birders collected for the Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk at our adjusted 7AM start time on the first day of Spring.  We counted a respectable total of 52 species on our 2 hour walk.  Our highlights included our first Osprey of the season losing a battle for a fish to a Bald Eagle.  Hundreds of Red-winged Blackbirds and even larger numbers of Common Grackles entertained us as they rummaged in the woods nearby.  Our duck populations included a pair of Ring-necked Ducks, three  Buffleheads, a dozen handsome Wood Ducks, and 5 Hooded Mergansers among others.
Canada Goose  42
Wood Duck  12
American Black Duck  3
Mallard  12
Northern Shoveler  7
Ring-necked Duck  2
Bufflehead  3
Hooded Merganser  5
Pied-billed Grebe  4
Great Blue Heron  4
Black Vulture  1
Turkey Vulture  1
Osprey  1
Bald Eagle  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  3
American Coot  9
Ring-billed Gull  12
Herring Gull  2
Mourning Dove  5
Barred Owl  1
Red-headed Woodpecker  6
Red-bellied Woodpecker  11
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1
Downy Woodpecker  4
Hairy Woodpecker  3
Northern Flicker  2
Pileated Woodpecker  3
Eastern Phoebe  3
Blue Jay  9
American Crow  13
Fish Crow  17
crow sp.  1
Tree Swallow  6
Carolina Chickadee  8
Tufted Titmouse  9
White-breasted Nuthatch  8
Brown Creeper  3
Winter Wren  1
Carolina Wren  7
Golden-crowned Kinglet  3
Eastern Bluebird  3
American Robin  10
Fox Sparrow  4
Dark-eyed Junco  2
White-throated Sparrow  15
Song Sparrow  2
Swamp Sparrow  6
Eastern Towhee  8
Northern Cardinal  12
Red-winged Blackbird  300
Common Grackle  500
House Finch  1
American Goldfinch  6

The Monday Morning Birdwalk has been a weekly event at Huntley Meadows since 1985. It takes place every week, rain or shine (except during electrical storms, strong winds, or icy trails), at 7AM (8AM from November through March), is free of charge, requires no reservation, and is open to all. Birders meet in the parking lot at the Park's entrance at 3701 Lockheed Blvd, Alexandria, VA. Questions should be directed to Park staff during normal business hours at (703)768-2525.

Harry GlasgowFriends of Huntley Meadows Park