Date: 3/20/17 8:32 pm
From: Ann Verdi <aeverdi235...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] early Purple Martin
Yesterday (Sun, 3/19) I saw a male PURPLE MARTIN circling around with
a small swallow flock (appearing to be N. Rough-winged) near Hicks &
Alamitos Rds upstream of Almaden Reservoir heading toward the Twin
Creeks area. The bird was a bit larger than the other swallows and
appeared overall black with no paleness or coloration on the chest or
head. The tail was slightly forked, but not as pronounced as a Barn
Swallow.

I have seen Purple Martin on spring migration in this same general
area, but this is the earliest I've ever seen one here. So this was an
unexpected surprise for me, and Mike Rogers told me that Purple
Martins also arrive in the Sacramento area about this time.

I went back today (3/20) but did not see the martin today - he's
probably up somewhere in the Santa Cruz Mountains by now.

Ann Verdi
San Jose

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional