Date: 3/20/17 7:01 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Cook County-Eight Locations With Small Lakes Or Ponds Monday 3-20-17
Hello Bird People,

The 8 locations I covered today are Belleau, Big Bend & Beck Lakes,
Heritage Park in Wheeling, Techny Basin, Techny Basin North, Air
Station Prairie & Lake Glenview. I will give complete lists of all the
water birds seen as that was my main focus for the day. Land birds
were the same at most locations & almost none were very interesting so
I won't list them all for each location. If you are not up to reading
lists for 8 places you may wish to pick the ones you want to know
about.

Belleau Lake (8:25-8:40 a.m.)

The only water related birds were Mallard (21) & Ring Billed Gulls (6)

Big Bend Lake (8:50-9:30 a.m.)(Checked the lake, river & backwaters)

Canada Goose (14), Mallard (37) & a large group of Red Breasted Mergansers (121)
Also Ring Billed (49) & Herring (2) Gulls

Beck Lake (9:35-10:05 a.m.)

Pied Billed (2) & Horned (1) Grebes
Canada Goose (46) & Mallard (only 4)
Common Goldeneye (1-M) & Red Breasted Merganser (26)
Coot (1), Ring Billed (8) & Herring (2 fly-bys) Gulls

Heritage Park In Wheeling (10:30-11:20 a.m.)(This was the best spot
for a variety of ducks)

P.B.Grebe (1)
Canada Goose (7) & Mallard (29)
CANVASBACK (7-M & 3-F), Redhead (1-PR) & Ring Necked Duck (3-M & 11-F)
Lesser Scaup (20), Bufflehead (2-M) & Red Breasted Merganser (6 fly-bys)
Ring Billed (39) & Herring (1) Gulls
Killdeer (1) & TREE SWALLOW (4-5, FOY for me)

Techny North Of Willow (12-12:20 p.m.)

Before I even got to the duck viewing area all the ducks flushed &
flew every which way for no apparent reason to my way of thinking as
no raptors were around. But the ducks could see better than I could as
the continuing adult BALD EAGLE had flown in & instead of sitting in
it's usual small tree spot it landed at the top of one of the big
condo's just to the east. Most of the ducks returned.

Mallard (16), Shoveler (up 1 to 11) & G.W. Teal (28-30)(The usual crew
minus the female Pintail)
Killdeer (2) & Ring Billed Gulls (7 who decided it was their job to
dive bomb the Eagle although they were very careful not to get too
close!)
TREE SWALLOW (1)

Air Station Prairie (1:35-1:55 p.m.)

Only 3 Mallards, a heard only Killdeer & one flushed Snipe

Lake Glenview (2-2:15 p.m) (Only a quick look from the north side as I
was out of time)

Canada Goose (12), Mallard (2) & Red Breasted Merganser (26)
Coot (5) & R.B. (14) & Herring (1) Gulls

I'll list Techny Basin Proper last although it was not my last stop
but it's the only place visited today where land birds were more
interesting than water birds & that was because they have burned a
section of the fields & that's where the land birds were looking for
food.

The only water birds were Great Blue Heron (2) & Mallard (8)
Feeding in the burned area were Killdeer (6), Robins (~20), Starling
(~30), Cardinal (2), Tree (9) & Song (8) Sparrows, Junco (6), Red
Wings (~75), Grackles (~10), Cowbirds (~20) & Goldfinch (6).

I had 42 species for the day & Bird-Of-The-Day goes to my 1st Tree
Swallows for 2017 seen at Heritage Park & Techny North. Runners-Up to
the continuing Eagle & the nice looking Canvasbacks.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today & fairly close to home

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: