Date: 3/20/17 4:29 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Ross's Goose, others - Lake Ontario Plain
I ventured out into eastern Niagara and western Orleans Counties today. This
was my first opportunity to look through the geese this month, as I was
scouting for the upcoming BOS Field trip this Saturday. At first, goose
numbers were low with fields and ponds still mostly frozen but as the day
wore on, it seemed like there were more and more geese. The highlight was an
adult ROSSíS GOOSE found on the north side of Rt 18, ľ mile east of
Niagara-Orleans Countyline Road around 10:00. While returning home around
4:00 I refound this bird another quarter mile further east as it was just
landing with a large flock of Canada Geese. Near this location, on the west
side of Niagara-Orleans Countyline Road, north of Rt 18, there were 14
CACKLING GEESE. Joel Strong got to see the Rossís Goose and we then both
continued eastward.

Our first SNOW GEESE of the day were along Marshall Road, where we had 326
overhead and landing in a field behind a hedgerow, where they were just
barely visible. At Shadigee (where the northward extension of Rt 63 ends at
Lake Ontario), we noted a large patch of water that was gleaming white Ė
Snow Geese! We counted 1200 here. We also had 128 RED-NECKED GREBES, 3
RED-THROATED LOONS, and 32 NORTHERN PINTAIL here.

There was also a NORTHERN SHRIKE along Lakeshore Road between Countyline and
Marshall Roads and 84 RED-NECKED GREBES off of Barker Bicentennial Park.

Good birding!

Willie

Willie D'Anna

Wilson, NY