Date: 3/20/17 4:00 pm
From: James W. Beck <loxosceles928...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] probable GOLDEN EAGLE - Marrero
LABIRD,

I am still in shock and can't believe this, but Linda and I just had
what I am 98% sure was an adult Golden Eagle soaring in the thermals
over our house here in Marrero. Lots of moving raptors today...

This bird was big-headed, but not *quite* as big-headed as a juvenile
or immature Bald. When the sunlight the bird, I saw thew nape QUITE
well and it was rich, golden-brown in contrast to the dark brown face
and underbelly. Addiotionally, the patagials were the same rich,
golden-brown as the nape. A dead-ringer for every typical GOEA I have
seen out west and worked with in captivity.... Its flight was not
diheadral, but on firm, flat wings.every GOEA The tail was all dark,
but I would like to have seen it better. What I am 100% certain of is
that is was NOT a BAEA of ANY age. Unfortunately, our telephoto lens
is still kaput and we haven't replaced it yet, so I know...no
photo...very frustrating

Just wanted to come inside and post this real quick to get the word
out. I'll submit a LBRC long form later, hopefully with better
details. Obviously such a great bird AND location will not pass
muster without documentation, but those on the West Bank, get outside
and keep your eyes to the sky!!! -j

--
James W. Beck
Marrero, Louisiana