Date: 3/20/17 2:57 pm
From: Steve Long <steve.long4...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Re: Binoculars, Good selection of 12x
I really don't understand the problem with 12x binoculars being "too jumpy".

My family's favorite "walking around" binocular is the old Minolta "Activa"
12 x 25. Those are light enough to carry that we DO carry them - a lot. We
even use them from the car when we are intentionally birding. A scope takes
a lot more effort, and a lot more time to get "on target", so we often don't
have one when we see something, or it leaves while we set-up the scope. The
little 12x Activas go right on-target and provide a real chance to see field
marks during time-limited opportunities.

And, even with the restricted field of view, the "jumpiness" of the edge of
the field is no problem.

Perhaps that is because the IMAGE doesn't seem to jump very much as the
binoculars shake a bit. Is that because the optics are somehow better, or
is my family just less jumpy than most?

Steve Long
Oxford