Date: 3/20/17 10:10 am
From: John Shenot <johnshenot...>
Subject: [cobirds] Possible Gilded Flicker, Fort Collins
I observed what may have been the same individual bird at the Museum feeders twice in December 2015 and once in January 2016. Each time I recorded the observation in eBird as an intergrade Northern Flicker with red malar but yellow shafts. I don't carry a camera when birding, so no images to share.

I am unclear whether this definitively supports or refutes Nick's theory of a possible Gilded Flicker. The principal pieces of scientific evidence in support of Gilded would be:

1) I've always maintained that if I ever had the good fortune to see a first state record, I would surely mis-ID the bird; and
2) I once said to Nick with no evidence whatsoever (though he wouldn't remember this) that I figured there had been Gilded Flickers seen in Colorado, just not properly identified.

John Shenot
Fort Collins, CO