Date: 3/20/17 9:39 am
From: David <daviddiller...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Mountain View Costa's Hummer and Sierra Vista OSP
Birders,

i want to report belatedly ( sorry) a sighting friday late afternoon of a male Costa's Hummer at a neighbor's garden near Moorpark Ave, Mountain View. It flew off after my wife and I observed it closely (10 feet, without bins), in fading light that was enough to clearly see the deep purple gorget which flared at the sides like little wings, also it was tiny, significantly smaller than Anna's. I have not seen it in the area since , there are feeders nearby. I will keep watching for it and report if it shows up again.

Yesterday ( Sunday) , we did an exercise hike at Sierra Vista OSP (Sierra Vista Trail plus Upper Calaveras Loop) from 10:15am to 12:30pm. Despite all the handicaps of a late start, no binoculars or camera, we still had some nice sightings such as a tame Rock Wren , 5 Yellow-billed Magpies, 4 California Thrashers, 2 Wrentits, 2 Acorn Woodpeckers, a singing W. Meadowlark and a and several hawks as well as a Golden Eagle which floated by at eye level, making me wonder why i didn't bring the camera this time. Sierra Vista Trail at the edge of the canyon, always seems to give us spectacular views of raptors, vultures and swifts, so i won't forget the camera again. Wildflowers are also very good.
This weekend is the first time i've had the chance to view our birds after working like crazy since we returned from a trip to Thailand - still dreaming of Thai birds, Thai mammals, Thai food and Thai massages for $8 per hour, but its great to be in California again.

David Diller
Mountain View

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional