Date: 3/20/17 9:30 am
From: Bonnie Comegys <blcomegys...>
Subject: [obol] Re: PDX Loons
Someone contacted me about an eBird report for March 18th with a link to
photos of a loon, looks like the same one I saw, but it was called a Common
loon on that report, the beak does look odd and appears to be the Red
throated loon, not sure how to pass along the link but is checklist
S35263052 on eBird Broughton beach report if you want to compare.

Bonnie Comegys
blcomegys ATgmail. Com
Portland OR Parkrose

On Mar 20, 2017 9:06 AM, "Clausing, Arthur M" <clausing...> wrote:

> I saw a Red-throated Loon at Broughton yesterday afternoon, probably the
> same one that was reported on the 18th by Bonnie. The loon was missing
> the front portion of its lower mandible. I assume this would make it
> harder to hold and swallow the fish it finds. It dived often but stayed
> under for relatively short periods of time. In my ride along the
> Columbia River from Troutdale to Broughton Beach, including a stop at
> Chinook Landing, I saw only a couple of scaups. At Broughton Beach there
> were about 20. I found a Common Loon close to shore about ½ mile upriver
> from the Sea Scout Base. I will post pictures of both loons on my Flickr
> site later today.

Join us on Facebook!