Date: 3/20/17 5:04 am
Subject: Wood Ducks leave roost pairwise 6:50 AM peak
For about a month I have watched Wood Ducks come and go to a roost in flooded brush along Quankey Creek just southeast of the bridge at Aurelian Springs Road. 25-35 each time coming from or going to the west.

Today it occurred to me that I do not know how many more might be to and fro the downstream, east side. I had been down the creek twice at twilight by canoe, but I guess I did not go far enough east to tell? Numbers can be tricky.

Today I got out on the road around 6:40 (civil twilight supposedly 6:36-6:56 AM should be the WOODCOCK flight times). A single bird was first, rest pairwise, leaving roost westbound, mostly around 6:50.

Today the birds seems to circle out east and wide of the creek before going upstream, west Maybe the Barred Owl I saw around 7 leaving the last big tree near the roost was the cause?

I guess the females are not yet on eggs. I had thought they might be.

Frank Enders, Halifax, NC

Join us on Facebook!