Date: 3/20/17 4:47 am
Subject: Woodcock no more--north to die in snow?
Many woodcock have died, NY to Vermont, in recent snow--some by imm Goshawk in Brooklyn's Prospect Park, some hitting tall buildings, some starving on frozen white.

For months one to several woodcock were singing just north of Quankey Creek along Aurelian Springs Road. But, the displays stopped about two weeks ago. Makes me wonder how many of "our" woodcock are birds which breed in more northern areas. Always have wondered about "double-brooding", which might be just by males which try here and try again up there, females "stuck" here with nests. Too speculative, I guess.

But, nobody knows what percentage of "our" woodcock, which display for the Xmas bird counts, may not be local breeders.

Frank Enders, Halifax, NC

Join us on Facebook!