Date: 3/20/17 1:05 am
From: Noah Arthur <semirelicta...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Alviso Iceland and Glaucous Gulls
This afternoon I gulled Alviso with Bill Pelletier, with highlights being a beautifully pale and checkered 1st-cycle 'KUMLIEN'S' ICELAND GULL and at least three and probably more 1st-cycle GLAUCOUS GULLS. These beauties were in among huge numbers of gulls on Pond A16 (I think -- the giant salt pond behind the Alviso EEC). The flocks were almost entirely made up of immature gulls, replacing the flocks of mostly adults that were present all winter. AMERICAN HERRING GULLS and THAYER'S GULLS were most numerous (really surprising numbers of the latter) in the loading flocks, with large numbers of mostly adult CALIFORNIA GULLS busily flying around. Smaller numbers of other common species were also present, including a WESTERN GULL.

Photos of Iceland and Glaucous are posted on eBird.

(A number of very pale but very worn and more or less ambiguous 1st-cycle Thayer's/Iceland types were also in the flocks; some may have been good Icelands but it's very tough to tell on these worn birds...)

Good Gulling!

Noah Arthur (Oakland)
<semirelicta...>
510-967-2179