Date: 3/20/17 12:23 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Bucktoe Creek Preserve (19 Mar 2017) 15 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 15 123 123

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Gary Stolz, Ian Stewart, Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
THE DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY SPRING HAWK WATCH AT
BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (13): Kathleen Pileggi, Ian Stewart, Ollie Stewart, Gary Stolz,
Stacey Gummey (plus TLC Group of 8)
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Hawk
Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Cloudy becoming Partly Cloudy (75-10% cloud cover), Temps 35-44F,
Winds North 10-15 mph

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Cooper's Hawk,
1-Red-shouldered Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (35) and
Turkey Vultures (50).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-1
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ I got an early start for the early bird breakfast special
at the Creek Side Diner in Kennett Square on the way to Bucktoe Creek
Preserve - I won’t miss the special today including eggs, sausage, home
fries and toast because I’m too late for the 8am breakoff – not this time!
No, catch me once and I’ll get it straight the next time. Not gonna charge
me more because I’m a few minutes late. Not again - only ONCE! I was
there 45 minutes before the cutoff…no problem. Then it’s pointed out to me
by my waitress that the special is for Monday thru Friday. With a gulp, I
ask, “What day is it today?” You see, a big-time cognitive problem we coma
survivors have is remembering days, dates, etc. I can’t tell you how often
during my recovery that my nurses, therapists, physicians asked me what day
of the week it was and date and I had no idea. They are trained to ask to
promote your brain to start working again. They asked so often that I,
with my twisted sense of humor, considered getting THEM all a calendar for
Christmas because THEY certainly couldn’t know the dates and days, asking
me as often as they did! Well, at least I thought that would be funny.
Anyway, back to my discussion with the waitress this morning. She informed
me with a chuckle, “Today is Sunday.” Drats…missed the special again – not
by time, but by day of the week. My new, old nemesis rears its ugly head
and bites me again – this time in the “breakfast special!” Seems that
breakfast “early bird special” requires time AND day knowledge – they’re
asking a lot, from me! Funny, isn’t it? Especially since my company name
is “Early Bird Nature Tours!” I can almost taste the irony, if not the
early bird special. Oh Hell, how much extra is the full price? I sure
hope I can afford to get them a calendar for Christmas!
I digest my meal a few dollars lighter than expected in my wallet, still
not able to get back to our regular site yet…setting up at main lot for
now. Our Red Foxes soon join the winter landscape. First, the healthy
one, then the one with the limp – dubbed “Gimpy.” They appeared from the
east heading towards the field along Sharp road where I had seen them
hunting so much yesterday. Stacey and Gary from TLC were out conducting a
winter reptile & amphibian program with 8 folks along. Among the birds,
once again flyovers ruled the day – and not just hawks. An adult Lesser
Black backed Gull with a group of Herring Gulls became species # 67. Number
68 were two Ospreys, soaring high overhead, in loose association with each
other. I’ve been waiting for those to begin coming through. A first year
Iceland Gull flew over, likely destined for the landfill, a few miles
distant – species #69.
Gimpy and friend loped back at 2pm, returning in the direction from whence
they had appeared early this morn – hopefully after a day of successful
hunting. Still, no sighting of our early Phoebe, but unless they were my
“floaters” moving around, I did have three flying insects. So….
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Kathleen Pileggi for posting these sightings to ebird and
for helping with this submission to “Hawk Count.” Thanks also, to Delaware
Nature Society, and especially, to the Brokaws, for their incredible
support and gracious generosity in opening their property to the public for
this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: 1-Great Blue Hereon, 2-Killdeer,
7-Ring-billed Gull, 11-Herring Gull, 1-ICELAND GULL, 1-LESSER BLACK-BACKED
GULL, 2-Horned Lark, 2-Eastern Towhee, 4-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0); Dragonflies (0); Reptiles &
Amphibians (0); Mammals (1): Red Fox.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.49; Steps: 12,879; Floors:
27.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a hawk watch,
(very rough, best “guestimate,” – raptors must remain our primary focus)
for totals of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 47; this season: 69
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (3):” LESSER
BLACK-BACKED GULL, Osprey, ICELAND GULL.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow looks like a good migration day - mild with moderate winds and a
few background clouds to see them against.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day, 9am thru 3pm (at least). Rain
or shine….
The Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by Delaware Nature
Society (DNS) and the Brokaw family. Please contact us at

Site Description:
High open meadow facing north near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):