Date: 3/19/17 6:45 pm
From: Lee Schoenewe <lschoe...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Smith's, Brewer's, East and West
Both Eastern and Western Meadowlarks were singing in the Waterman and Little
Sioux valleys this morning. Easterns were FOY here in northwest Iowa.
Brewer's Blackbirds were mixed with redwings and other icterids at a White
Ave. farmstead. While hiking in to check the waterfowl in the Hanging
Valley wetland at Waterman Prairie five Smith's Longspurs rose up and
rattled at us from a short mowed prairie area. Five Trumpeter Swans ran
towards us across the water and lifted into the wind not far over our heads
as we stood slack-jawed but smiling at our good fortune.

Lee A. Schoenewe

Spencer