Date: 3/19/17 5:55 pm
From: Bill Bousman <barlowi...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Milpitas Bald Eagles
Folks:

This morning, 3/9/17, I stopped by the BALD EAGLE nest at Curtner
Elementary School in Milpitas. The nest is in the largest redwood next
to the Redwood Avenue side of the school. My initial impression was
that the nest might not easily hide an incubating bird. I was wrong. I
set up my scope at the end of Redwood and focused on the nest and
eventually an adult moved about a little, its head poking up momentarily
or it stood with its back feathers visible, but mostly it was out of sight.

Alan Walther has a friend at the San Jose-Santa Clara WPCP who has seen
an adult at the drying ponds since late November and a pair has been
there since early January. As the eagle flies, this is about 1.2 mi.
from the Curtner school. On my walk on Coyote Creek Trail on Thursday,
a woman walking her dog volunteered that she had seen a Bald Eagle over
the trail. Walther's friend sees it catching Am. Coots at the drying
ponds. The coots are tapering off now, but maybe this pair will switch
to precocial Herring Gulls a few miles to the west.

Bill Bousman
Santa Clara County records compiler

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional