Date: 3/19/17 2:27 pm
From: Tom Wood <tcwood729...>
Subject: [wisb] Another Harlequin Duck in Milwaukee, Milwaukee County
I assume the female Harlequin Duck I saw was different than the one seen by
Jym Mooney. I saw one just north of Bender Park in the exact spot it was at
back on January 3. This was at 10:20 AM, and Jym saw one much farther north,
at Lake Park around 11:00 AM. Perhaps the north of Bender Park bird was
there all winter? This is the first time I've been there since then.
Its behavior was unusual. She and the female Bufflehead she was hanging out
with weren't diving, they were picking at the surface of the water. First
time I've seen a Harlequin do that.
Otherwise, I found the lakefront from Bender Park to South Shore Yacht Club
to be quite dead. Goldeneye and Red-breasted Mergansers were easy to find,
but not much else. Not a single scaup. Weird.
Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County