Date: 3/19/17 1:54 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Cook Co-Wolf Rd Prairie, Bemis Woods N & S, Salt Creek F.P. & Palos Area Sunday 3-19-17
Hello Bird People,

Today Bob Erickson & I had 2 main targets which were Northern Shrike &
(once again) Pileated Woodpecker. Thanks to reports from Doug S &
Linda P we started at Wolf Road Prairie where after 25 min of
searching we saw the NORTHERN SHRIKE along the western edge of the
place in a tree just east of the western row of trees which is where I
think Linda saw it previously (see her ebird report). We flushed no
Woodcocks while walking the area.
But we had our usual luck (bad luck) with the Pileated's as we found
none in Bemis North & South, Salt Creek & several Palos areas. One of
these days, maybe? Here are our lists:

Wolf Road Prairie (7:30-8 a.m.)

Blue Jay (2), Eastern Bluebird (1), Robins, Cardinal (H-2), Song
Sparrow (H-2), Red Winged Blackbirds & NORTHERN SHRIKE (1 & it was
actually singing a little!)

Bemis Woods North & South & Salt Creek F.P. (8-10 a.m.)

(I'll do a combined list for all 3 close together places but will do
separate lists on ebird)

Canada Goose (6) & Mallard (28)
Cooper's Hawk (1, caught a squirrel)
Red Tailed Hawk (1, by an entrance road)
Red Bellied (7), Downy (5) & Hairy (1-M) Woodpeckers
NORTHERN FLICKER (2 together in Salt Creek F.P.)
Blue Jay (6)
Chickadee (9) & W.B. Nuthatch (6)
BROWN CREEPER (1)
GOLDEN CROWNED KINGLET (1)
Eastern Bluebird (1) & Robins (10)
Y.R. MYRTLE WARBLER (1)
Cardinal (8-9)
Tree (4) & Song (8) Sparrows
Red Wings (6), Grackle (1-fly) & Cowbird (1-M)
House Finch (heard 1)
Goldfinch (heard 2)

Palos-Little Red School House & Trails (10:10-11:30 a.m.)

Here we checked the feeders, forest trails & a nearby pond. Saw Donnie
D at the feeders waiting for Purple Finches & a Tufted Titmouse. Hope
he found them!

Mallard (6), Shoveler (10), G.W. Teal (7), Bufflehead (7) & Hooded
Merganser (1-M)
(All the above ducks were at a nearby pond along 1 of the trails)
Common Merganser (4-5 in Long John Slough)
Turkey Vulture & Red Tailed Hawk (1 each soaring above)
Mourning Dove (heard 1)
RED HEADED WOODPECKER (2-3), Red Bellied Woodpecker (1) & Downy Woodpecker (2)
Blue Jay (4) & Crow (2)
Chickadee (2) & W.B. Nuthatch (2)
TUFTED TITMOUSE (2, NOT at the feeders but near the pond)
Robins (10-12) & Starlings (2)
PURPLE FINCH (1-M & 2-F, seen at the feeders at 11:20 a.m.)
Goldfinch (8-10)
House Sparrow (12-14)

Maple Lake Wolf Rd Parking Lot

Canada Goose (14)
Sandhill Crane (38 in 1 flock calling & flying by)
EASTERN PHOEBE (1 calling)

Tomahawk Slough

Some folks we talked to had had 2 Pileated's here a few days ago but
we found none today.
In the slough were Great Blue Heron (1) & Mallard (1-M) & we heard Red
Bellied Woodpecker
& W.B. Nuthatch.

Had 44 species for the day which was a lot to look at.
Bird-Of-The-Day to the Northern Shrike & Runner-Up to the Purple Finches &
the Red Headed Woodpeckers
Thanks go to Doug & Linda for the Shrike reports & I hope Donnie D got
his Purple Finches.

Al Stokie
In S.W. Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>