Date: 3/19/17 1:11 pm
From: Brooke Miller <idbirds...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Black-headed Grosbeak and Other Goodies at Santa Teresa County Park, Sunday March 19, 2017
Hi Birders,

This morning I birded in and around the Adobe Picnic Area at Santa Teresa County Park. I had my FOS (first-of-season) BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK, WESTERN KINGBIRD, and BULLOCK’S ORIOLE. Also of interest in the area were lots (really LOTS) of WESTERN BLUEBIRDS, a single PHAINOPEPLA, at least 2 RUFOUS-CROWNED SPARROWS (on the hillside above the Mine Trail), 2 BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHERS, a few PURPLE FINCHES, a male RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD and several RUFOUS/ALLEN’s Hummingbirds. There was also a good representation of raptors and falcons: a COOPER’S HAWK, 2 RED-SHOULDERED HAWKS, 2 RED-TAILED HAWKS, an AMERICAN KESTREL, and a MERLIN. There were also singing ORANGE-CROWNED and YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS, and quite a few singing HOUSE WRENS. When I first arrived there were 14 WILD TURKEYS in the mowed area close to the pavilion, the males strutting their stuff.

All-in-all, a satisfying morning even with the cloud cover!

Good birding,
Brooke Miller
San Jose

<*> Your email settings: