Date: 3/19/17 12:17 pm
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Coos migrants et al. 3/19/17
Pip and I started the morning out on the N. Spit if Coos Bay. We took a
three mile loop at dawn around the old Weyco pond site. There were many
singing birds including Marsh Wrens, RW Blackbirds, robins, RC Kinglets
(quite a few), Song & WC Sparrow, wrentits and towhees. Heard and saw my
first singing migrant ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER. Also a surprise was a singing
HERMIT THRUSH, I rarely hear them on the coast and especially this early.
One singing PURPLE FINCH and singing AUDUBON'S WARBLERS also.

Duck-wise there were two pairs of CINNAMON TEAL along the sand road pond
where I normally see the first migrants. Also Gadwall, RN Ducks,
Bufflehead, shovelers Hoodie Mergs and many nesting Canada Geese.

Heard and saw my first migrant GREATER YELLOWLEGS, five in total flying
north near the beach. Several Tree Swallows at nest boxes at BLM boat ramp
also.

Mike Seedborg was able to refind the PALM WARBLER at the North Bend BLM
office this morning.

VG Swallows flying around our yard also.

Knute Andersson and I walked out Fossil Point late AM and saw the KING
EIDER but it stayed far enough away to make photos difficult.

On Friday Barb Griffin reported the male BULLOCK'S ORIOLE is still coming
to her feeder in North Bend.

Enjoy!
Tim Rodenkirk
In sunny Coos Bay