Date: 3/19/17 10:41 am
From: Albert, Steven <Steven.Albert...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Indifferent Prey
Jersey Birders -

I saw something that I thought was interesting on Friday. While counting birds for my survey up in Little Ferry on the Hackensack River, a Peregrine flew in and perched on the pilings where the Great Cormorants often sit. The sun had just risen and I watched the bird pick some breakfast residue from bloody talons. It didn't leave and I was able to watch it for about 20 minutes. But as time went on, I began to notice other birds. A gull perched on an adjacent piling. Ducks, gulls and a few Double-crested cormorants were sitting or swimming in the area, at least dozen birds within a radius of two or three wing flaps.

What gives? I knew it just ate, did they know? How? It wasn't until I downloaded some photos and with a little editing I was able to see what wasn't apparent in the early light - a really bulging crop.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/98494447@N06/33114256440<https://www.flickr.com/photos/98494447@N06/33114256440/in/dateposted-public/>

I guess this was a visual clue to the other birds (i.e. potential meals) that this bird wasn't a threat for a while. Even so, I think it's gutsy!

Forsythe was cloudy, cold and very windy early this morning. At dawn on the way in, an Osprey flying over the car. Then, huge numbers of Snow geese, 16 species of waterfowl overall, plus assorted gulls, a couple of harriers, male and female, and other regulars. I didn't get out of the car and check out the woods. No Tundra swans unfortunately.

Hope you all got to wait for the warm sunshine that showed up when I got home! Good birding!

SA

Steven L. Albert, CPEA, QEP
Senior Program Manager, EHS Management
D +1-732-564-3601
M +1-732-832-6195
<steven.albert...><mailto:<steven.albert...>

AECOM
30 Knightsbridge Road
Suite 520
Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA