Date: 3/19/17 10:27 am
From: Barry Haas <bhaas...>
Subject: Bird Lovers Should Press for Climate Policies
Dear ARBIRDers,

I know from past posts that some on this list prefer there be no "politics" posted or discussed here. This is a bird listserv, and host Kim Smith has pointed that out numerous times in the past when the discussion has gone astray.

That said, we won't be able to continue enjoying birds like we do while also ignoring the diminishment of their needs including suitable habitat, sufficient food when they need it most like during breeding season, etc. The issues are inseparable.

We have easy access to data showing a number of avian species are declining, some precipitously. The National Audubon Society has been doing what it could to educate the general public about the threat climate change poses to birds. We can continue to do nothing more than watch birds until the last one is gone (what I call the head in the sand approach), or we can as birders and members of the larger community do our best to be part of the solution to keep that from happening.

Here's a letter by someone who thinks we must do both, enjoy birds while working to ensure they are around for future generations:

http://www.arkccl.org/our-blog/bird-lovers-should-press-for-climate-policies

This is just one example of an organization working on climate change that impacts whether, what kind and how many birds we can focus our binoculars on 5, 10, 20 years down the road. Is this our generation's challenge to avoid a "Silent Spring"?

Those who prefer to leave the "politics" to others probably stopped reading this post after the first sentence. That's their prerogative. Those of you who are still with me are probably the very people doing everything you know how to make the planet habitable not just for birds, but for humans as well.

Will we do enough in time?

From the deep woods just west of Little Rock,
Barry Haas

P.S. Wood duck activity on our pond and in our nest boxes this spring is somewhat confusing. We have two pairs of woodies on the pond most days, but we've not observed a female entering or leaving the nest box as often as usual. So we aren't sure if one of our boxes is being used, or not. A wood duck egg was discovered by the edge of the pond last week. Another mystery. We've seen red-breasted nuthatch, golden-crowned and ruby-crowned kinglets, sapsucker, brown creeper along with the usual suspects at this time of year. And a Cooper's hawk has spent time hunting behind the house in the woods. The Cooper's recently had a female cardinal trapped within the dense vines of a native honeysuckle. The cardinal was too smart to leave its safe haven, and the Cooper's finally moved on sans that cardinal as its next meal.

Join us on Facebook!