Date: 3/19/17 8:59 am
From: Brendon Lake <brendonlake10...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Kane County Ramblings - 3/18 (Late Report)
Hi everybody! Lots of birding again yesterday in my home county of Kane left me too exhausted to write out a report, so I'll do it right now! Highlights were as follows:
Nelson Lake in Batavia - An early morning stop here was good for dabbling ducks. Highlights were my first Blue-Winged Teal of the year, an American Wigeon, five Sandhill Cranes, and seven Ruddy Ducks.
Les Arends FP in Batavia - Birding along the bike trail going north almost to Quarry Park, the walk was very enjoyable. Highlights were two Eastern Phoebes hunting in the same treetop, two Yellow-Rumped Warblers, a young Red-Headed Woodpecker, and 15 Rusty Blackbirds.
Fabyan Forest Preserve in Geneva - Not a lot going on, but White-Throated Sparrows, five Great Blue Herons, and a Cooper's Hawk were somewhat notable.
Pingree Grove Water Treatment Plant Marsh - Lots of waterfowl here, including a lot of Ring-Necked Ducks, some Lesser Scaup, Northern Shovelers, a Ruddy Duck, Hooded Mergansers, and a group of 10 Canvasback, which were all together on the large fenced-in lake. More than 30 Green-Winged Teal were practically by themselves on the pond on Catamaran Circle, just the opposite side of Reinking Road from the marsh. This pond has developed extensive mudflats, so it will be worth watching going into shorebird season. People may remember this pond from when the White-Faced Ibis was present here two years ago.
Burlington Park Fluddles - Hundreds of ducks were here, apparently looking to roost for the night. I've never seen these types of numbers here before! Mostly Mallards, but also five Green-Winged Teal, two drake American Wigeon, and 20-30 Wood Ducks! Two Wilson's Snipes were seen as well.
Muirhead Springs Forest Preserve - Eastern Meadowlarks aplenty, three Northern Harriers, two distant Short-Eared Owls, and four or five displaying American Woodcocks were all a pleasant way to end the day!
One last interesting note, I had Eurasian Collared-Dove in two places yesterday, neither of which I've seen them at before! One was in someone's front yard in the small town of Virgil, along Meredith Road, south of Route 64. Another four Eurasian Collared-Doves were seen late in the day along Allen Road, just west of Widmayer Road in Hampshire. All in all, 61 species on the day, and a lot of fun along the way!
Good birding to all!Brendon LakeBurlington, Kane County

Join us on Facebook!