Date: 3/19/17 8:06 am
From: Pam Hunt <biodiva...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Penacook on the eve of spring
Greetings all,

Despite the foot of snow, and the Contoocook River thawing and refreezing
TWICE in the last three weeks, things are finally looking a little
springlike up here in Penacook. Yesterday's walk around The Island netted 26
species and today's longer walk had 34, both a little above the 12-year
average for mid-March. This is especially welcome after a winter with
consistently BELOW average species richness. Highlights from yesterday
included five species of waterfowl: Canada Goose, Mallard, Common Goldeneye
(I only have SIX records for both surveys combined), and both Hooded and
Common Mergansers. Three Song Sparrows were in full song, as was a single
White-throat (the latter likely being one of the handful of wintering
birds).

Today had two highlights. First was two American Kestrels flying high
overhead - apparently migrating - just after I started at 0730. And hour and
a half later, a flock of 6 Bohemian Waxwings flew over as I walked along Bog
Road.

No GGOW or Black Vultures here!

Pam Hunt

Penacook, NH

"The most dangerous worldview is the worldview of those who have not viewed
the world."

- Alexander von Humboldt