Date: 3/19/17 8:03 am
From: bob mcguire <bmcguire...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Observations
I spent an hour at Myers Town Park this morning, listening to (and recording) the many different calls of Herring and Ring-billed Gulls. Conditions were perfect - no wind ( the lake was like glass) and little traffic noise except for one slow-moving helicopter.

There was a group of 8 American Pipits foraging along the shore, and well as two Killdeer and some 20 Robins. The Robins, in particular, were finding food on top of the snow, so I assumed that there had been some sort of insect hatch.

More interesting, many of the Ring-billed Gulls were swimming up & down the creek, picking something from the surface (or just under it) of the water. Again, I assume some sort of insect hatch. The Herring Gulls, however, ignored whatever the Ring-bills were feeding on and continued loafing in shallow water.

Bob McGuire

ARCHIVES:

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/