Date: 3/18/17 9:51 pm
From: Jim Berry <jim.berry3...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Stellwagen Bank--NW Corner plus Glo. Harbor, Mar 18, 2017
> Stellwagen Bank--NW Corner
> Mar 18, 2017 8:30 AM - 12:00 PM
> Protocol: Traveling
> 40.0 mile(s)
> Comments: The almost annual boat trip of the former Cape Ann Birders'
> Weekend, now run by itself by the Gloucester Chamber of Commerce (the
> weekend event is defunct), was conducted today in good weather and
> reasonably calm seas. About 75 people went with Jay Frontierro of 7 Seas
> Whale Watch on the Privateer IV to the NW corner of Stellwagen Bank and a
> little beyond. Wayne Petersen, John Nelson, and I led the trip. We saw
> plenty of common murres, razorbills, and Iceland gulls but missed dovekies
> and, believe it or not, kittiwakes! This list is only of birds seen well
> outside the breakwater. We also (collectively) saw 2 humpbacks, a minke
> whale, and half a dozen each of harbor porpoises and harbor seals, all
> well out at sea. 2 or 3 people reported seeing an ATLANTIC PUFFIN, but
> most of us didn't know about this sighting until lunch after we got back.
> 8 species
>
> Northern Gannet 35 all adults as I recall
> Common Murre 35 Mix of plumages from winter to breeding and in
> between; all had brown cast to the dorsal feathers. Those in winter
> plumage had extensive white on face.
> Thick-billed Murre 1 photographed by Nate Dubrow
> Razorbill 50 One flock of about 30, the rest basically singles
> Herring Gull 2000 This number was arrived at by taking the estimate
> of black-backed gulls and multiplying it by 10, as the consensus ratio was
> roughly 10 to 1. Mostly adults.
> Iceland Gull (kumlieni) 25 There were 20-30 fishing (and/or
> scalloping) boats on the NW corner, and many boats with attending gulls
> had one or two of these in the flock. All I saw were immatures.
> Glaucous Gull 1 Great views of immature in the water beside the boat.
> A few people reported a second bird but most of us missed it.
> Great Black-backed Gull 200 Mostly immatures.
>
> View this checklist online at

Gloucester Harbor
Mar 18, 2017 12:00 PM - 12:45 PM
Protocol: Traveling
4.0 mile(s)
Comments: This list contains the birds we saw in the harbor and just
outside the breakwater. On the return trip we spent more time in this area,
going slowly to count the ducks, seals, etc. Speaking of which, we saw two
gray seals and a harbor porpoise in the harbor.
24 species

Canada Goose 5
American Black Duck 2
Mallard 8
Greater Scaup 30 The flock in flight showed nothing but long
wingstripes today.
Common Eider 200
Surf Scoter 45
White-winged Scoter 25
Black Scoter 3
Long-tailed Duck 50
Bufflehead 35
Common Goldeneye 10
Red-breasted Merganser 20
Red-throated Loon 4
Common Loon 25
Horned Grebe 5
Great Cormorant 3
Thick-billed Murre 1 The bird that refuses to leave the harbor. It
seems tied at the hip to one buoy or another. Everyone had point-blank
views of it as we returned to our berth. We saw it swimming with one leg
and thought it had lost the other, but Nate took a photo that showed both
feet.
Razorbill 1
Black Guillemot 6
Ring-billed Gull 1
Herring Gull 100
Iceland Gull (kumlieni) 1
Great Black-backed Gull 10
Cedar Waxwing 15 The most unexpected birds of the day were this flock
of 15-20 waxwings that flew over the boat in the harbor.

View this checklist online at

Jim Berry
Ipswich, Mass.
<jim.berry3...>