Date: 3/18/17 8:24 pm
From: <Vanslagerf...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Today's Charleston Slough Field Trip
All:

On Nick Yatsko's excellent field trip to Charleston Slough on 3/18/17 there
weren't nearly the quantities of ducks as I would have expected, but we
did record at least 64 species of birds. Just before we quit we had great
views of a Wilson's Snipe. While everyone was getting a look through the
Questar, it occurred to me to ask, " Why are Wilson's Snipes always
sleeping?" Nobody said anything. Perhaps they didn't want to emphasize my
ignorance.

When I got home I looked through all of my bird books. Finally in that
great bird book, "The Shorebird Guide", I found the reference, "...
crepuscular ... foraging ...at dawn and dusk."

Frank Vanslager

Join us on Facebook!