Date: 3/18/17 7:20 pm
From: Daniel Mason <millipede1977...>
Subject: Re: CROSSBILLS MAY HAVE NESTED IN OZARKS
Always glad to see these reports. I was tempted to try after the first
sightings but I often go an hour or so for a bird and then never find
it. Happens more often than not with the less common ones. I don't get
to go too far too often so I don't push it for many but if they're still
down there, I may have to drag the whole family with me. :)
Crossbills would be a lifebird. So would the brown-headed nuthatch if
we can find that. I wonder if there's anything else I might look for
down there that I might not find up here in Benton county.
We're thinking about visiting late Monday morning. We've never been
down that way. Any info we can use to find our way around as far as
finding the birds? I'm hoping with a young bird still being fed they're
not going to be on the move quiet yet and we'll have luck. Any thoughts
on the nuthatches there as well? And is there anything at this park
like a playground to keep my younger kids busy? :)
Also, I'd like to hear more about crossbills in general. When it comes
to species like this that have different "types" that can be told apart
by sound I have to wonder if they're really different or, just making
different sounds. Obviously I'm not questioning other people's
knowledge on this. There has to be more to it than "they sound
different" to decide they're different types if not different species.
I just haven't read enough about them. I question everything I need to
in order to learn more. And, so many species and subspecies splitting
and joining from time to time, a person does have to wonder. Redpolls
for instance. They even look different but then, perhaps they're the
same after all. If the experts that have all the say so are still
figuring these things out, I don't think it's unreasonable for me to
wonder about these crossbills. Basically, I'm not going to be too
concerned with trying to figure out which type I might see but I'll be
quite content(and happy) to fine any crossbill at all. Unless I put it
on my list and then they decide to split it and I then don't know what I
had. that could be a problem. HA.
Anyway, thanks for the reports and that's quite interesting to hear.