Date: 3/18/17 7:24 pm
From: <cjbabbitt...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] MAS Field Trip to Flagstaff Lakes
Nine people spent a very warn but beautiful late winter day birding the Flagstaff Lakes. One of the highlights was a Rough-legged Hawk soaring and circling with a Bald Eagle and two Ospreys at upper Lake Mary. There were also some interesting early spring migrants including a very early Broad-tailed Hummingbird at the Naval Observatory on Anderson Mesa and several early Violet-green Swallows at various locations.

Early in the morning at Lower Lake Mary we had great views of perched Bald Eagles. There was lots of water in the lakes and plenty of waterfowl. For the day we had 15 duck species including Common Goldeneye, Canvasback and Common Merganser. At the Naval Observatory on the mesa we had incredible up close views of a Pygmy Nuthatch going in and out of a nest or roosting cavity in a dead tree. We also had a great looks at a perched Townsend’s Solitaire. Other thrushes seen during the day included several Mountain Bluebirds, and many Western Bluebirds and American Robins.

As we travelled along upper Lake Mary we heard Pinyon Jays calling along the side of the mesa but did not see them. At Mormon Lake overlook we watched two courting pairs of Red-tailed Hawks. Near Mormon Lake Village we had three Snow Geese and many Canada Geese.

About 50 species for the day.

Charles Babbitt
Phoenix