Date: 3/18/17 7:04 pm
From: G & J Fenton Friesen <friesen.fenton...>
Subject: Quivira and barbecue
My brother joined me for a trip to Quivira NWR this AM. Good duck numbers
noted with about 11 species seen. Oddities were a count of 61 Snowy Plovers
on the north mud flat and I heard one American Bittern doing it's odd call
just before the sun came up on the east side of the Wildlife Drive. Barry
had a number of wrens NW of the Wildlife Drive and reported two female
Purple Finches. These were all quiet when I made it to that area. The
Eagle was sitting on the south next and the north nest appeared empty. We
did not look at the middle nest. I heard both Yellowlegs but saw no other
shorebirds apart from a small group of Peeps. (Least?).

Lunch at Roy's Hickory Pit Barbecue just north of 4th on Nickerson Road in
Hutchinson. I knew Roy as a kid as I delivered the Hutch News to him.
Roy is gone now but the new owners still run a great little business with
very good food. They are open from 11 to 2 Tue to Sat. There are a lot of
chain barbecue places birders can patronize but this one is the real deal.
Highly recommended.

Gregg

--
Gregg & Joanna Fenton Friesen