Date: 3/18/17 7:00 pm
From: mike rader <mike_rader...>
Subject: rural Wilson Short-eared Owls
Hi all,

On a tip from Dave Klema, I made a trip to a couple of rural Russell Co. roads to the southwest of Wilson (Stickney & 204th and Winterset & 204th)to look for Short-eared Owls. He had three in the area earlier in the week, so I took advantage of the relatively calm conditions to see what I could find, I saw 8 N. Harriers flying the grasslands and had a dozen Greater Prairie Chickens fly over from a stubble field into the grass. Lots of both meadowlark species singing and I had a single Vesper Sparrow on a fence by the road. I was rewarded for persistence as the sun sank below the horizon by a single SE Owl flying fairly high about a quarter mile away. I soon saw another a mile to the north and had one sitting on a post a few yards ahead of me when it was getting almost too dark to see. A great evening to be out!l,

Mike Rader
Wilson and/or Pratt,??KS

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to