Date: 3/18/17 5:23 pm
From: Matthew Dodder <mdodder...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Ed Levin Park (PAAS field trip) 03-18-17
Folks,

I led my Palo Alto Adult School birding class to ED LEVIN PARK today. A quick pre-trip stop at the gravel parking area across from Spring Valley produced the YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER in his favorite pepper tree.

At 8:00 the entire group met at the lower parking area just beyond the entrance kiosk for the Sandy Wool entrance. We admired the BARN OWL in the pines near the restroom, a single HERMIT THRUSH along the fence line, and a number of Selasphorus Hummingbirds, all appearing to be ALLEN'S HUMMINGBIRDS. As we circled the meadow beside the lot, we also came across a small flock of CEDAR WAXWINGS, many many YELLOW-RUMPED WARLBERS, WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCH, WESTERN BLUEBIRD and a single BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER. We also hiked up to the levy near the playground to view two adult BALD EAGLES in the eucalyptus above the gazebo. Among the many TREE SWALLOWS we also spotted several NORTHERN ROGUH-WINGED SWALLOWS. High hover head a PEREGRINE FALCON flew toward the reservoir.

In the eucalyptus trees by the Dog Run, we found BULLOCK'S ORIOLE and several more Selapshorus Hummingbirds, none of which stopped long enough to allow good views. We hike up to the sycamore grove and creek where we saw a HOUSE WREN, and heard 2 RUFOUS-CROWNED SPARROWS. WHITE-THROATED SWIFT. A single WESTERN KINGBIRD was seen foraging along the trail just beyond the sycamore grove. Coming back down the hill, we encountered another RUFOUS-CROWNED SPARROW, but despite quite a bit of searching could not locate any Grasshopper Sparrows.

After lunch beside Sandy Wool Lake we caravanned up to Spring Valley to investigate the "Magic Tree" at the southern end of Spring Valley Road within the park. Look for the large, pink-flowered eucalyptus for numerous buzzing Hummingbirds, ANNA'S, ALLEN'S and RUFOUS.

Finally, a couple of cars made a very quick jaunt to Marsh Road where 5 more WESTERN KINGBIRDS were found, a small group of 8 LARK SPARROWS, a few YELLOW-BILLED MAGPIE.

Matthew Dodder
Mountain View

Join us on Facebook!