Date: 3/18/17 4:46 pm
From: Al Eisner <eisner...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Alviso EEC/A16 area
This morning (March 18), as the tide was getting toward a low, I saw
4 BLUE-WINGED TEAL (a pair and two additional males) with about 20
CINNAMON TEAL in Mallard Slough near the Environmental Education
Center in Alviso. The only rail I had here was a heard-only SORA.

In pond A16, there are now hundreds of Caspian Tern decoys, on most of
the islands visible from the east end and south levee. (This seems
like overkill!) I didn't detect any movement. I walked west to the end
of the second "old" island, now numbered 16. The overcast (hence
little trouble from heat waves) made for good viewing of ducks on the
pond. While I found about 50 AMERICAN WIGEONs scattered among the
abundant Shovelers, I didn't manage to find a Eurasian (which doesn't
prove it's gone). But I did see 1 or 2 female RED-BREASTED MERGANSERs
and at least 1 NORTHERN PINTAIL among a total of 12 duck species this
morning. I also scoped A18 from near the EEC: lots of Scaup (over
100 males alone), but no definitive Redhead seen. A18 also had at
least two dozen Aechmophorus Grebes. Just before I left, a male
GREAT-TAILED GRACKLE came up on the wooden in front of the closest
part of A18 for a few minutes.

Al Eisner

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional