Date: 3/18/17 3:37 pm
From: Dennis Vroman <dpvroman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Purple Finch
Jeff's thought on Purple Finch migration are valid. Having written the BOGR
(Oregon bird bible) species account for this species, my background on them
is pretty good. Also, composed an article on Purple Finch (PUFI) published
in "Oregon Birds" many years back. Banded hundreds of them. Had several
band recoveries. Some were in the Santa Rosa, CA area during the winter
months. Some spring/summer recoveries were in the Puget Sound, WA area.
So, they do move back and forth with the seasons. They have been missing
pretty much from the western Rogue Valley this winter and started to appear
again in Feb (migrants). Today I counted 38 at our place (just east of the
Merlin I-5 exit), again migrants. They can generally be found in winter
foraging on Oregon ash seed, if not at a feeder.

Many singing, one a few days back sounded just like a Cassin's Vireo; are
mimics.

Dennis (north of Grants Pass)