Date: 3/18/17 2:58 pm
From: Lisa Myers <lisa...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] SCVAS - McClellan Ranch this morning
Hi all -

Today I led a field trip for a Beginning Birding class sponsored through the Los Gatos Birdwatcher. We spent the morning at McClellan Ranch in Cupertino. It was an exciting morning for folks new to birding and the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society. Here are a few hi-lights.

We had three swallow species - NORTHERN ROUGH WINGED, VIOLET-GREEN AND TREE. On two different occasions we found adult COOPER’S HAWKS. There was a size difference so perhaps a pair.
The AMERICAN CROWS were carrying nesting material. We found BUSHTIT’S with a completed nest. A male HOODED ORIOLE was observed flying from the Palm Tree near the restrooms. NUTTALL’S WOODPECKERS were quite active and vocal. A DOWNY female came in to feed at the suet and ACORN WOODPECKERS were across the street on a power pole.

We found RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS on two occasions. One was vocalizing much more than the typical “jit, jidit” that we hear throughout the winter. It was singing quietly up in an oak above the 4-H pens.

On two occasions, CEDAR WAXWINGS flew over in small flocks and we also found WESTERN BLUEBIRDS and AMERICAN ROBINS. SPOTTED TOWHEES were very vocal, but easier to hear than to find.

We had two PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCATCHERS calling in the area just past the 4-H pens, in the area where the trail turns toward the creek.

Around 11:00 AM, a GREAT-BLUE HERON circled over the ranch and landed above the creek on top of a Sycamore much to the dismay of a couple of crows.

We ended with 33 species which was pretty good for an educational morning with a muffin break.

After everyone left I spotted a WHITE-THROATED SPARROW underneath the feeders stocked by SCVAS.

And do remember - the SCVAS Spring Birdathon is so close you can taste it! Get out there between March 25 - April 30 and see some great birds while supporting SCVAS.

Lisa Myers
Let’s Go Birding
Los Gatos Birdwatcher

<*> Your email settings: