Date: 3/18/17 2:23 pm
From: Jeff Blalock <jcbabirder...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Birding Halifax County
Greetings all

I started at 0650 hrs at Banister River WMA where I had 2 Woodcocks, an Immature Bald Eagle, three Barred Owls, Wood Ducks and a Great Blue Heron.

I stopped at Runts store to get a candy bar for some energy and had 1500 Grackles along the sides of Dan River Church Rd but no YH Blackbird. One day I hope one shows up.

At Edmunds Park the Ruddy Duck that was there earlier this week was still there as well as 7 Wilson's Snipes.

I next went to Clover and at the Power plant cooling pond there was 8 Red-Breasted Mergansers.

At the pond behind the Visitor Center at Staunton River Battlefield State Park I had Wood, Mallard and Ring-Necked Ducks just two of each.

On the trail to Randolph I had a Red-Shoulder Hawk and a Northern Harrier but I did not see a Bald Eagle on the nest, in the trees or soaring around anywhere which was very disappointing. I hope they haven't abandoned the nest and move on elsewhere.

In the duck impoundments below the park was only one Coot no Great Blue Herons.

Not a bad day but I was hoping to find an American Bittern and disappointed about the Eagles.

From my iPhone

May God Bless and Keep You

Jeff Blalock
103 Elizabeth Court