Date: 3/18/17 1:58 pm
From: Harry Fuller <atowhee...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Dipper question
I don't have enough sighting info on Baker Creek Dippers to aver an opinion
except they don't seem to come as far downstream as Grenfell Park and they
become hard to find when the creek is high and muddy and so must find
higher or smaller side streams...I do know that on Ashland Creek they move
upstream during floods and are known to fish the edge of swimming reservoir
(minimal current) in upper Lithia Park...along the Rogue River they hunt
the edges in most season as that river is often too deep to have exposed
rocks. In the Cascades they will hunt lake edges as well as streams but
don't seem to wander too far from their usual territories...and for
romantics I can only recommend John Muir's essay on the water ouzel
http://vault.sierraclub.org/john_muir_exhibit/writings/the_mountains_of_california/chapter_13.aspx

On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 1:43 PM, Linda Fink <linda...> wrote:

> It may be different on different waterways but on the 6 miles of Agency
> Creek (Yamhill county) that I have surveyed since 2011, the Dippers (7
> pairs in that 6 mile stretch) are usually somewhere in the vicinity of
> their territories on that stream. When the water is high and muddy, I
> sometimes find one across the road in a swampy ditch. Even when I can't
> find them during high water times, as soon as the water goes down a bit
> (which it does quickly on this particular stream), they are back where they
> belong.
>
> On our Nestucca CBC, Don Albright was surprised to find them, one
> high-water year, in their usual bridge areas on the turbulent Nestucca
> River. This year I think our west-side surveyor find one in a ditch.
>
> I don't know where the Dipper I saw feeding on a gravel bar in the middle
> of the North Santiam River by Lyons goes when the water is as high as it is
> now. But my guess is it moves to a smaller stream that flows in somewhere
> nearby. But that's just a guess.
>
> Perhaps the Ashland Dipper surveyors have more definitive information?
>
> Linda, near Grand Ronde Agency, SW Yamhill County
> --
>
> POST: Send your post to <obol...>

Harry Fuller
author of *Great Gray Owls of CA-OR-WA*, see:
https://ecowise.wordpress.com/2015/05/08/the-great-gray-owl-book/
author of *Freeway Birding*, see: *freewaybirding.com
<http://freewaybirding.com>*
birding website: http://www.towhee.net
my birding blog: atowhee.wordpress.com

Join us on Facebook!