Date: 3/18/17 1:44 pm
From: Linda Fink <linda...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Dipper question
It may be different on different waterways but on the 6 miles of Agency
Creek (Yamhill county) that I have surveyed since 2011, the Dippers (7
pairs in that 6 mile stretch) are usually somewhere in the vicinity of
their territories on that stream. When the water is high and muddy, I
sometimes find one across the road in a swampy ditch. Even when I can't
find them during high water times, as soon as the water goes down a bit
(which it does quickly on this particular stream), they are back where
they belong.

On our Nestucca CBC, Don Albright was surprised to find them, one
high-water year, in their usual bridge areas on the turbulent Nestucca
River. This year I think our west-side surveyor find one in a ditch.

I don't know where the Dipper I saw feeding on a gravel bar in the
middle of the North Santiam River by Lyons goes when the water is as
high as it is now. But my guess is it moves to a smaller stream that
flows in somewhere nearby. But that's just a guess.

Perhaps the Ashland Dipper surveyors have more definitive information?

Linda, near Grand Ronde Agency, SW Yamhill County
--

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!