Date: 3/18/17 1:23 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Cook County "Wild Scoter Chase" At Jackson Park Harbors & Lake Michigan Saturday 3-18-17
Hello Bird People,

Saw on ebird that Sam B had 2 Black Scoters in the Outer (LaRabida)
Harbor on Friday. As that's the last Scoter species I need for my year
list I decided to give it a try. Arrived at about 8:15 with Bob
Erickson where we joined forces with birder Denny Jones for the
search. Bob & I had already checked the Outer Harbor & did find 1
WHITE WINGED SCOTER there. Then all 3 of us worked on the diving ducks
(at least 200) in Lake Michigan where we located 2 "Dark Winged"
Scoters so we thought we had the Black Scoters & kept watching them in
the hopes they would stop sleeping with their heads under their wings
& give us a better look. But they were just trying to trick us as
eventually they flexed their wings & proved that they were NOT Dark
Winged after all but were 2 more White Winged Scoters! Kept scanning
but the ducks were very far away until about 75% of the lake ducks
picked up & flew into the Inner Harbor at the far north end. We walked
over there & we could no longer complain about the views as they were
close enough to see what they all were but what they were were not
Scoters of any kind. Later all flew back to Lake Michigan & again were
not close. Here's our site list for the a.m.

Jackson Park Outer & Inner Harbors & Lake Michigan (8:15-10:30 a.m.)

Horned Grebe (4-5 all in Lake Michigan or the Outer Harbor)
Canada Goose (only 4-6)
Mallard (8-9 in both harbors)
Shoveler (2-M & 1-F in the Inner Harbor)
(We saw no other "puddle" ducks)
CANVASBACK (16)
Redhead (~20)
Ring Necked Duck (4-M)
Greater & Lesser Scaup (Total of 200-250)
WHITE WINGED SCOTER (1 in the Inner Harbor & 2 in Lake Michigan)
Bufflehead (6 in the Outer Harbor)
Common Goldeneye (1-M & 2-F in the Inner Harbor)
Common Merganser (1-M & 2-F)
Red Breasted Merganser (at least 100)
(That's 12 duck species for the day but only 2 non-diving ducks)
Coots (8-10 all in the Outer Harbor)
Ring Billed (~50) & Herring (~6) Gulls (flying everywhere)
The only land birds we noticed were Crows (4) & a singing but unseen Cardinal.

Worked hard here today but seeing a Black Scoter will have to wait for
another day.
Bird-Of-The-Day to the Outer Harbor White Winged Scoter as we saw it
very well & in close.
Runners-Up to all 16 Canvasbacks as we saw them well too when they
were in the Inner Harbor.
Award for deception to the 2 Dark Winged Scoters who did not have dark wings!

License Plate Of The Day to one from Vermont on a Subaru near Lake
Cook Rd later in the day.

Al Stokie
In Cook County by the Chicago lakefront today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: