Date: 3/18/17 1:19 pm
From: Joseph Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: Red Crossbills continue near Shores Lake, Ozark NF
Several of us showed up a bit early for this morning's Northwest Arkansas Audubon Society field trip to the Shores Lake area in Ozark NF north of Mulberry. A few of us soon heard, then sighted, 3 crossbills in about the same place where we have spotted them in the last couple of weeks. These birds were originally found March 4 by Bill Beall and Jim Nieting approx. 0.8 mile south of the Shores Lake day use area, in a mature stand of shortleaf pines; still in same area. This morning's crossbills were in a leafless mid-story hardwood, providing excellent looks. The bills looked larger than I had previously thought, much like the song type 2 crossbills (Ponderosa Pine Crossbill). This was my third trip for them and I feel fairly confident they must have nested in the Shores Lake pine stands.

More on that later. Anant Deshwal and Pooja Panwar obtained audio recordings of the calls that have been sent to Matt Young at Cornell for identification of song type.

Join us on Facebook!