Date: 3/18/17 10:24 am
From: Jon Stippick <Jonstippick...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Piney Hollow Preserve; Gloucester County- MIGRANTS
The Franklin Township Environmental Commission hosted a cleanup today (Saturday). I kept my binoculars with me and managed to see a few birds along the way. The first was a Woodcock that flushed and only flew about 25 feet away and I finally got an extended view, I've been trying for years! I had my first Pine Warbler of the year, a brilliant male. 8 Tree Swallows were swooping over the middle pond. A Red-breasted Nuthatch was calling from the woods but never seen. I also counted 21 Rusty Blackbirds on the north side of the 1st dike. That's the highest number I've ever had for them. My favorite part of the morning was hearing, for the first time ever, a Winter Wren singing his little heart out. This individual has wintered here, I have observed it about 5 times since December. Although I have never heard a Winter Wren sing, I knew right away what it was. I confirmed it with Audubon app. A Phoebe was observed on the way back to the car.
I look forward to more reports of spring migrants in the coming weeks.

- Jon Stippick
Franklin Township, Gloucester County
Jonstippick at gmail dot com

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>