Date: 3/18/17 9:43 am
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Red-tailed Hawk, Stanfield Meadows Rd (Umatilla Co.)
Hi -

The under side of the tail on an adult Red-tail is normally a lot paler than the top, and in direct light as in your photo can look quite white.  I suspect the top of the tail on your bird was a normal, fairly dark red.

I photographed a bird even darker than yours at Whalen Island several years ago, and its tail looked just as white.  the posture was the same, with the bird sitting upright and facing me and the sun directly behind me.

Wayne
On 3/18/2017 9:29:13 AM, Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...> wrote:
Here's one from 2 months ago near Ashland:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/136435824@N03/32174801851/ [https://www.flickr.com/photos/136435824@N03/32174801851/]

On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 8:46 AM, Owen Schmidt <oschmidt...> [mailto:<oschmidt...>]> wrote:

……. search for rufous phase Red-tailed Hawk.  I’ve only seen one pair like this in Oregon.  One example here:

http://www.featheredphotography.com/blog/2013/06/28/red-tailed-hawks-creatures-of-habit/ [http://www.featheredphotography.com/blog/2013/06/28/red-tailed-hawks-creatures-of-habit/]

<oschmidt...> [mailto:<oschmidt...>]
Saturday, March 18, 2017

On Mar 17, 2017, at 10:10 PM, Bill Bradford <billbradford1...> [mailto:<billbradford1...>]> wrote:

We ran across a very pretty hawk near Stanfield and are not entirely ​sure about the ID. For the most part, it looks like what we've been calling a "Chocolate Morph" Red-tailed Hawk, with a rufous head and breast and dark brown belly. In this case however, the bird has a very white tail. Sure wish the picture was better, but it was quite far from the car:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/42693729@N04/32659663874/in/dateposted-ff/ [https://www.flickr.com/photos/42693729@N04/32659663874/in/dateposted-ff/]

In other area news, we saw Long-billed Curlews in three places in Morrow and Umatilla Counties over the last three days: Umatilla NWR, Yellowjacket Rd near Pilot Rock, and Stanfield/Echo area. A single Black-necked Stilt was at the Stanfield Meadows/Echo Meadows intersection. Spring has arrived!

Bill Bradford & Lora Minty

Join us on Facebook!