Date: 3/18/17 8:16 am
From: Michael Fialkovich <mpfial...>
Subject: Allegheny County Fox Sparrows
Hi,

I took a walk at Frick Park this morning in the thick fog and snow with the intent of taking photographs of the fog covered landscape, which I did. I heard two Fox Sparrows singing and one flew up to a high perch where I was able to view it.

For those who know the park, the birds were near the intersection of South Clayton Trail and the trail that connects from the back side of the meadow. That trail has been completely transformed. It now switchbacks down the gentle slope from the meadow to S. Clayton (prior it was a fairly straight trail). It's a bit of a mess with the damp ground. I suspect this was done to prevent erosion and make it easier and safer to walk. I also think there is some effort to remove the Asiatic Bittersweet in the area.

I still have a Red-breasted Nuthatch visiting my feeders. I keep hoping for a Fox Sparrow.

Mike Fialkovich
Pittsburgh Area, Allegheny County

Join us on Facebook!