Date: 3/18/17 6:42 am
From: Roy Lowe <roy.loweiii...>
Subject: [obol] Harlequin Ducks
As I was passing through Newport at sunset on Wednesday March 15th I
stopped by the Yaquina Bay South Jetty for a quick look. A pile of
harlequin ducks was roosting on the jetty rocks and the adjacent
westernmost rock groin near the west end of the gull puddles area. This is
a favorite haulout location for these birds when fisherpersons are not out
scurrying on the rocks. How many is a pile? By my count that is a minimum
of 34 birds, but a few more were likely present out of my sight and I
didn't want to get out of my car and disturb them. That is the most
harlequin ducks I've ever seen at one location and the ratio was about 3:1
males to females.

Roy

Join us on Facebook!